TEXAS: Bowers: Vote For My Husband's Life
MARTHA BOWERS Guest column

10/30/04

The struggle my husband wages daily against Parkinson's disease has
produced a profound change in me. This election, after voting for
Republicans for 24 years, will see me instead voting for the
Democrat.

I was very devastated when President Bush tied gifted scientists'
hands by severely limiting the scope and funding of embryonic stem
cell research. Thus he chilled all forms of this possible life-saving
research and effectively took us out of world leadership in this
regard.

Federal funding for fiscal 2005 is a mere $24 million dollars for
embryonic stem cell research. Yet here in Texas alone a single
anonymous donor has given $25 million to the University of Texas
Health Science Center at Houston for such research. This gift would
have been out of the question if certain Republicans in the Texas
House had their way and made such research a criminal act in Texas.

President Bush proposed a mere 2.7 percent increase in bio-medical
research funding for fiscal 2005, not even close to keeping up with
the bio-medical sciences rate of inflation.

All of us have been touched with loved ones whom have Alzheimers,
cancer, diabetes, muscular dystrophies, stroke, spinal cord injuries
and Parkinson's.

You may call me a single-issue voter, but I'm fighting for my
husband's life — a man I met 26 years ago, knowing instantly that he
would be the father of my children. Love at first sight.

Our three children can tell you first-hand what it is like to watch
their father's daily struggles — even to stand up from a chair
without falling. We watch multitudes of symptoms rack his body, even
with the best of available medications.

When we received the devastating diagnoses of Parkinson's 3 1/2 years
ago, I made sure my husband knew I would always be there for him,
that I would see him as my husband, and not the disease.

The need for increased and expanded embryonic stem cell research is
so easily seen from my perspective. I want our best scientists,
medical doctors and researchers to be able to carry on this important
research.

Our two oldest children will also be casting their vote with me for
their father's best chance at life.

I see a tomorrow when the constraints of Parkinson's will be lifted
away by a cure. This is not false hope or a pipe dream. I'm voting
for life.

Martha F. Bowers of Tehuacana is a licensed social worker assistant
in a Waco nursing home.

SOURCE: Waco News
http://tinyurl.com/6fezl

* * *Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters