Hi, fellow list members--

I was a member of this list a couple of years ago, seeking answers to
questions for my parents, who have Parkinson's.  I am returning with an
urgent question about health insurance.  My parents want to terminate their
secondary Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Medicare Primary) coverage and substitute
for it Tri-Care for Life, which is available only to military veterans on
pension.

What are list members' recommendations?  Mom phoned me today and told me
that they were thinking of changing.  Dad is a retired federal employee, so
they must decide by November 15.   Mom and Dad have phoned all their
doctors, who say they will continue treating them under Tri-Care for
Life.  Mom and Dad tell me that they are tired of all the paper work
demanded by Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  When I got them to enroll in Blue
Cross/Blue Shield about six years ago, it was the opinion of many on this
list serve that Blue Cross/ Blue Shield would be their best bet for their
situation.  They had big problems with their previous HMO when they were in
the hospital, so we would like to be careful.  Please give us any advice on
experience you have had.

For background on my parents' PD:  My parents, ages 86 and 79, have been
treated for PD for the past six and four years, respectively.  My Dad has
been diagnosed with the tremor dominant-type PD, takes Sinamet, and is
lucky enough to still be able to swim regularly and drive some.  Mom has
been diagnosed with PN; two neurologists suggested that she may have the PD
variety, where the muscles stiffen.  She does not wish to pursue further
diagnosis, because she has had great difficulty tolerating drugs and
prefers to stay on the least amount of Sinamet that her family practitioner
prescribed.  She is frail, has balance problems, and uses a
walker.  Despite their health problems, they are very happy living
independently in an apartment in a continuing care retirement community.

Thanks in advance for any advice list members can provide.

--Suzanne