PRESS RELEASE: WISCONSIN POISED TO INVEST $750 MILLION IN RESEARCH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
11/17/2004
CONTACT: Terry Devitt, (608) 262-8282, [log in to unmask]

WISCONSIN POISED TO INVEST $750 MILLION IN RESEARCH

MADISON - Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, taking a swing at keeping
Wisconsin competitive in the superheated world of biomedical
research, announced today (Nov. 17) that over the next several years
Wisconsin would invest up to $750 million, including more than $500
million in new facilities and direct research support for scientists
at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Speaking to reporters and technology leaders at UW-Madison's
Biotechnology Center, Doyle outlined a strategy aimed squarely at
bolstering Wisconsin biotechnology, health sciences and stem cell
research.

"Wisconsin leads the world in groundbreaking biomedical research, but
we need to continue to move forward," Doyle said. "The state, in
partnership with the university and our other private partners, has
an aggressive and comprehensive strategy to ensure that we remain at
the forefront not only of scientific discoveries, but of creating
thousands of new high-tech jobs."

Included in Doyle's plan are:

-- A new $375 million public-private research institute, to be known
as the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery. The proposed institute
would occupy the entire 1200 and 1300 blocks of University Avenue and
would become a massive interdisciplinary research center that would
combine biology, bioinformatics, computer science, engineering,
nanotechnology and other fields in one setting. The first phase of
the project would use $50 million, which already had been earmarked
for the fourth phase of the BioStar initiative.

-- A new $134 million interdisciplinary research complex near
University Hospital and Clinics. The new center would be
translational in nature, helping bring basic research discoveries to
clinical fruition at a more rapid pace.

-- $1.5 million annually to support research on Alzheimer's disease
at UW-Madison.

-- A new $132 million research facility at the Medical College of
Wisconsin and Children's Hospital that will focus on infectious
disease control, cardiovascular illnesses and bioengineering.

In addition, Doyle pledged to smooth the bureaucratic and legal
hurdles that impede the ability of faculty to take their innovations
to market, and to provide more venture capital for startup research-
based businesses through the Wisconsin Department of Commerce.

The new strategy is designed to bolster the university's science
research infrastructure at a time when other states, notably
California through a recently passed referendum, will begin to invest
heavily in such things as stem cell research.

Doyle and UW-Madison Chancellor John D. Wiley noted that over the
past decade, Wisconsin has positioned itself to compete through the
investment of more than $1 billion in new research infrastructure on
the Madison campus. What's more, they pointed to the university's
long-standing strengths in basic biology - biochemistry, genetics and
molecular biology, among many others - and a tradition of
interdisciplinary research as strengths that will help the university
recruit and retain talented faculty.

"Other states are now playing catch-up," Doyle said. "But there are a
number of measures we're going to make to advance the work that goes
on here."

"We haven't been sitting still," said Wiley. "It is incumbent on us
to advance this (stem cell) field."

Stem cell pioneer James Thomson, a UW-Madison professor of anatomy,
explained that with access to the human genome, biology has entered a
new age. Stem cells, he said, are but one tool that will not only
help biomedical science develop new treatments for conditions such as
diabetes, Parkinson's disease and heart disease, but will help
unravel the causes of those diseases opening a door to their
prevention.

Thomson added that Wisconsin is not just a leader in stem cell
research, but is a powerhouse in biology in general.

"We are a world leader in embryonic stem cell research at Wisconsin,
but I'm actually fairly embarrassed at the amount of press that this
one area of research gets, because Wisconsin is a world leader in
most areas of biomedical research, and I don't think the average
person in Wisconsin appreciates that," Thomson said.

"We are a population of 5 million people and we have a state
university, which is in the top 10 universities in the country -
private or public - in biomedical research by any measure you look
at, and that's something that people should be proud of. To maintain
this leadership position, there has to be a continuing investment.
There are states that are competing with us, and private universities
that are competing with us, and I think that the initiative that the
governor announced today goes a long way in maintaining this
leadership position in what is really an age of discovery."

Both Wiley and Doyle placed emphasis on the importance of
interdisciplinary research and of building an institute where
scientists from many disciplines can work together and exchange
ideas.

Biology and biotechnology have always been Wisconsin strengths, Wiley
said, but new fields such as bioinformatics and nanotechnology have
emerged in recent years. Creating opportunities for cross-
fertilization between emerging and established disciplines will only
strengthen Wisconsin's hand, he said.

"All of these things are converging. That's the message for
technology of the future."

"We need teams of technologists and biologists right next to each
other," said Biotechnology Center Director Michael Sussman. "We don't
need them in the building down the road. We need them in the office
across the hall."

The proposed Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, he said, will
accomplish that.

###

SOURCE: University of Wisconsin / University Communications
http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/10446.html

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters