Mike Roberts - The Province
SOURCE: The Vancouver Province
WWWeb: http://tinyurl.com/4hu8b

Monday, November 15, 2004

Following a blazing career arc through the rarified stratosphere of
the high-tech sector, one has to wonder if Tom "Whiz Kid" Williams
bumped his bean on his way back down to Earth.

Seriously. Williams was just a 14-year-old kid running his own
software company out of his Victoria bedroom when Apple snapped him
up. An $80,000-a-year salary and a swank pad in Silicon Valley were
just the beginning for the teen titan described as a maverick and a
genius.

The next decade would see Williams, now 25, pioneer the interactive
music industry for Apple, bounce around Fortune 500 boardrooms honing
websites and business plans, or assessing online trends and start-up
threats for billionaire venture capitalists.

At the height of it all, the Grade 8 drop-out was pulling in nearly
half a million a year. Private jets, exclusive clubs, offices in New
York and Los Angeles -- Williams had it all, or so he thought.

Just shy of his 25th birthday, Tom Williams had an epiphany, a
quarter-life crisis sparked by a question from a friend: "But Tom,
what are you passionate about?"

"In the pursuit of the almighty dollar, fame and glory and all that,
I'd lost sight of that, completely. I couldn't answer that very
simple question," says Williams, a rail-thin young man who comes
across more like an earnest, coffee-house folk singer than a
knowledge-industry mastermind.

So, Williams packed it all in, holed up in a South Granville
apartment with his new fiancee -- rising Vancouver pop star, Jessie
Farrel -- and set to work on Plenteus, an online marketplace for
charitable giving.

"If you care about the three-toed spotted marmot, or you care about
something as big as the Downtown Eastside or cancer, it doesn't
matter," says Williams.

"We will be able to help you find that cause."

A year of his life and a wad of his cash for an online charity
database that allows donors to pick and choose their worthy cause?
His friends think he's nuts.

But Williams is passionate about Plenteus, and its first initiative,
a novel holiday gift-certificate program called GiveMeaning (which
launches today -- National Philanthropy Day -- at
http://www.givemeaning.com

"I have no interest anymore in talking," says Williams. "From the
time I was 14, all I did was talk. I'm great at talking, but it's
time to do."

Do he did. And while some may say the high-flying wunderkind has gone
and lost his marbles, he'll simply remind them that there's more to
life than 18-hour working days and the almighty dollar.

"It doesn't take Tom's Great Adventure to arrive at that conclusion,"
says the charity company CEO.

Reference:

Plenteus (online marketplace for charitable giving)
http://www.givemeaning.com

SOURCE: The Vancouver Province
WWWeb: http://tinyurl.com/4hu8b

* * *

Thanks Marg!

.
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters