Trying To Cope With Loved One's Dementia
By Donald M. Murray, Globe Correspondent

November 16, 2004

This morning, Minnie Mae was smiling in her sleep at Kirkwood Corners
Assisted Living Facility. She was, for a moment, the young woman I
married 53 years and 10 months ago.

I held her hand as I had finally dared to when we went to the movies
for the first time and then she awoke laughing, pointing to the dogs
running in circles around each other. There are no dogs here.

We talk, and I try to understand the strange and different lands she
inhabits. Then, suddenly, like the undertow at Nantucket that
captured me for a moment when I was a boy, I feel what I thought I
had accepted and put away: this is the way it is. The dementia we had
both feared has infiltrated her brain. There is no cure. This is the
last of the many marriages we have shared.

The good days are often the worst. I feel hope when there is no hope,
cures when there are no cures, escape when there is no escape. I feel
I betray my wife if I think of what I know she wants, the final
comfort of death.

Her brain protects itself. Minnie Mae is many places, back in school
in Kentucky, working in the Pentagon during our war, a child, a
mother, a baker, a spy, a dog trainer, but never what she feared
most, a victim of dementia.

A feisty woman all her life, she now lives a Zen-like existence of
calm content. Her complaint at Kirkwood Corners is that the staff
cares for her more than she deserves. In the dreaded nursing home
Minnie Mae so feared, she has found an unexpected peace.

There's nothing more I can do for her than visit, becoming for her --
I hope -- a man she rarely knows, but a presence who cares for her.

I am left to make a friend of selfishness. It isn't easy. I became
comfortable as a caretaker. Her needs become my obligation and
unexpectedly my pleasure. I found I enjoyed -- most of the time --
giving her the care she could no longer give herself.

We developed a new companionship with its own demands, pacing, humor,
as together we fought a delaying action against Parkinson's.

There could be no victory but there could be an hour by hour, day by
day, staying action.

Now I must march to my own drummer. I need to be strong if Minnie
Mae, my daughters, sons -in-law, grandchildren, friends need me.

Hardest of all is to admit I need to pay attention to the personal
needs I put aside while responding to the ever increasing needs of
Minnie Mae.

I'm trying but I still wake each morning expecting to find Minnie Mae
sleeping beside me as we did for almost 54 years.

SOURCE: The Boston Globe, MA
http://tinyurl.com/6b7jr

* * *Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters