UK: Les’ Cutting Remarks All For Charity
By Helen Barnes

1:49pm Wednesday 17th November 2004

It will be a case of hair today, gone tomorrow for Les Hallam when
his prized mop gets the chop on Saturday to raise money for research
into Parkinson's Disease.

For Les, 48, the fundraising event is doubly important as he was
diagnosed with Parkinson's four years ago.

The news came as a bolt out of the blue for the HGV driver who used
to travel all round the M25 delivering materials to building sites.

He said: "I was shocked. It is very difficult to come to terms with,
it still is sometimes.

"You cannot do a lot."

Les may have had Parkinson's for up to a year before his diagnosis as
the early symptoms are often difficult to detect, particularly in
younger patients.

Parkinson's affects the part of the brain that controls movement.
Chemicals dopamine and acetylcholine work in balance to transmit
messages between the nerve cells and muscles.

But in people with Parkinson's the balance is upset and some of the
dopamine-producing cells are lost, which can lead symptoms including
tremors, stiffness and slowness of movement.

Les, of Mayday Road, Thornton Heath, first noticed he had a problem
when he struggled to get his lorry into gear with his left arm.

After numerous tests, hospital appointments and two operations, Les
was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

He said: "It is very difficult to cope with especially at my age. I
have tremors in my left arm and my right arm is starting to shake."

Now he is hoping to raise thousands of pounds for the Croydon
Parkinson's Disease Society at a charity night at his local pub the
Saints and Sinners.

There will be a grand charity auction on the night with prizes
including signed football memorabilia from Premiership sides
including Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Spurs, as well as
meals for two at restaurants in Croydon and a combined TV and DVD
player.

Pub regular Derek Gauntlett will be auctioned as a slave for the day
and the highest bidder on the night will get to shave Les's hair,
which he has been growing for the past eight months.

Les said: "We came up with the idea of idea of a head shave and
within an hour we had designed and printed off a sponsor form and
collected £150 from people in the pub."

The money will go towards research into the disease and supporting
people in the borough who have Parkinson's.

The event starts at 7pm at the Saints and Sinners pub in London Road,
Thornton Heath.

1:49pm Wednesday 17th November 2004

SOURCE: Croydon Guardian, UK
http://tinyurl.com/3oymk

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters