Cyclists with Parkinson's Disease
Mark Stine KOLD News 13 Reporter
SOURCE: KOLD-TV, AZ
WWWeb: http://tinyurl.com/6vzxf

"Even being able to walk or do pretty mundane things is a struggle."

Sharon Kha has Parkinson's disease. She was diagnosed less than a
year ago, but it's not slowing her down. Today, she competed in the
35-mile El Tour de Tucson event.

"Doing it now is a miracle," Kha said. "It's like not having the
disease for an hour or two."

Right now Sharon's muscles are still working well, it's her brain
that's telling her muscles to stop. If it continues, Sharon's muscles
will weaken.

Becky Farley is hoping to prevent that from happening. Becky is a
physical therapist, neuroscientist and Sharon's coach.

"She has to get used to more effort all the time, so when she's on
the bike, she's working really hard," Farley said.

Working hard is an everyday event for Jim Wetherell. Jim's had
Parkinson's for 10 years. He rides a minimum of 20 miles a day on his
trike.

"My trike is my bridge to a normal life," Wetherell told KOLD News
13.

Since starting his daily rides, Jim's tremors are gone and he doesn't
take as much medication. "I've proved to myself and pretty much to my
doctors if I'm riding I stay better, if I cut down on my riding I get
Parkinson's more," Wetherell said.

"Medications aren't enough for Parkinson's. You have to exercise,
touch therapy, meditation, there's a whole holistic approach to
Parkinson's now," Becky said.

And according to Becky Farley, Sharon's training for El Tour de
Tucson will hopefully hold off the most debilitating effects of
Parkinson's.

"Pushing yourself actually rewires your brain. So that your brain can
do things it couldn't do if you just did what you thought you were
able to do," Sharon said.

If you, or a loved one is suffering from Parkinson's disease, you can
go to http://www.AZAPDA.org for more information.

SOURCE: KOLD-TV, AZ
WWWeb: http://tinyurl.com/6vzxf

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters