THIS IS A SAD  DAY FOR THE LIST.  Bob Fink has announced that he is
leaving us and there has been no comment on his letter.   In addition
John  Cottingham and  Barb Patterson  have remained silent on the
issue.  To lose  such  a valued member of the group-  a neurosurgeon
and  possibly the only practicing MD remaining on the list is indeed our
great loss. And especially  I think, that all it would have taken is an
apology  to cut this off.   Now the ugly specter of censorship hias
reared its head I am fearful that it will continue with others.  John
Cottingham,  I think you are in error by not apologizing to Bob and Bob
while I think you are right to demand an apology rather than Censorship
aren't you taking it a little far by contacting the Board of trustees of
the  Uof T and threatening  a lawsuit for defamation?

Bob and I have disagreed about many things but I have found him to be
thoughtful and courteous and respectful of my point of view.  John and
Barb and I have agreed on most things but I think you are dead wrong on
this one. I can understand that you wish to keep controversy on an
intellectual basis rather than a personal one and protect the list but
aren't the eggs for the omelet already broken?  Bob is leaving the list
and while I don't intend to leave I will if censorship continues.. I
think that is what happens when censorship occurs- more and more people
give up contributing and the threads become less and less relevant.

The issues of stem cells and abortion have been the major area where Bob
and I part company.  The issue of when human life begins is what it all
boils down to.  Bob feels that all life regardless of stage or semblance
of humanity is sacred and even though it is growing inside of someone
else it is the moral equivalent of murder to terminate a life no matter
how primitive .  I rationalize this by stating that it more complex than
that and that and in making  the choice to have an abortion one must
take into account the rights of the mother and the circumstances  the
child will be born into.  Nonetheless  if I thought that feeling
thinking human beings were being killed I would feel it necessary to
take action to prevent it. as would most of you (I hope).  It comes down
to what we are raised to believe , religion  if I can mention that here
(without censorship)- and how literally one takes the Bible. This is a
sensitive area and will not be settled by any legislation or court
rulings. With the country being split close to 50-50 neither side will
convince the other especially since the genie is out of the bottle now
and won't be stuffed back in.  Bob -  if you want widespread civil
disobedience and ignoring of a law along with the tragedy of botched
abortions you will see a lot of illegal abortion drugs and abortions
being performed just try and  pass this one

Stem cells I think are quite a different matter since they do not have a
chance of becoming human beings (since they come from IVF)   I feel that
their potential for the relief of suffering and lack of we ever
potential humanity should make all but the most avid right to lifer take
pause.  Bob, I have a great deal more respect for you and your positions
because you at least considered the difference between abortion and stem
cell research.

Bob,  I wish that you would consider staying with the List but I
understand if you don't. Please keep in touch with me and others who
value your opinions.

Charlie
Charles T. Meyer, MD
Middleton, WI