Dear listfriends,

When my wife Faye and I decided to have in vitro fertilization we made also some other important decisions. We are both christians and we both believe that human life should be defended. We also believe that human life should be protected and because of Faye's age (she was 40 when we had the in vitro fertilization had done) we accepted the risk that we had a "down syndrom" child. We would not have had the foetus aborted, but we would have warmly welcomed the baby. We took also another decision. We filled out a form that stated that we would like to donate the "left over eggs" to research for Parkinsons Disease. 4 Eggs were used for the in vito fertilization.
1 Daughter was born. A sweet smart girl who is now almost three (jan 10) and we love her very much.

I have 15 years Parkinson's Disease, am now 55, and thanks to DBS-STN it is possiblwe to take care of my baby/toddler/little girl. We live in Waco, Texas. My wife works as a general Surgeon and that added to my age and PD experience makes us one of the most strangest pair of parents.

I have some questions and remarks. Some are rhetorical.

1) Don't the parents have the right to decide what is done with the "leftover eggs" ?
2) If the parents don't have the right, does the government take the responsibilty to protect life?
3) If the government is protecting life, why do they send soldiers to Iraq and other countries?
4) If the government is protecting life, why do they not protect car drivers by law to make cars not faster than 10 miles per hour?
5) If the government spends $300 billion in one year to save the life of 10,000 (people killed by terorists) why can't they spend $3 billion to save the lives of 50,000 people (new Parkinson patients)
6) If question 5 has as answer that it is all a matter of economics than there is even more reason to invest in (adult) stem cell research and PD because stem cells will be a huge business and PD cost the community a lot of money.
7) Why don't we, the Parkinson patients and activists try to change the opinion of the Republicans?
8) Is the goverment afraid to add all the cured Diabetes, Parkinson, Alzheimer and other patients to the unemployed workers?
9) On this day we give thanks to God for all the things he gave us. Let us pray that He gives us and especially the government the wisdom to solve  the problems that deal with the cure of PD and other diseases.

Happy Thanksgiving

Kees Paap