I was happy to learn that the list of support groups on my web site,
www.ccastle.org/pd.hrml, was useful to the people backing Proposition 71 in
California this past month.   Proposition 71 will supply $300 million
dollars a year toward the cause, and we read about additional monies coming
in from Illinois, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and other states,
along with private funding for research.  So what if the U.S. Federal
government doesn't back embryonic stem cell research?  There's lots of
money coming from state and private sources.

Something's missing!

Each of the states is going off in its own direction, possibly reinventing
the wheel that other states have just invented.   Not hat this is always
bad, as often one line of investigation that is not mainstream will be the
one to lead to a solution.  But some coordination of the research will be
most likely to bring the best results fastest - and at the least expense
too - both in terms of money and also in terms of the number of embryos
that need to be destroyed

We need results!

It would seem that under U.S. Federal government leadership the progress of
embryonic stem cell research.in the U.S. would proceed faster and at less
expense.  The  pragmatic approach is that directed research will be most
likely to yield results.  If the U. S. Federal government chooses to hide
its head in the sand, not recognize that progress is being made here, and
fail to give direction, then we wait longer for the needed results.

With the elections over, it is clear that embryonic stem cell research will
proceed,  It will be done in California and New Jersey and Wisconsin and
Illinois and Massachusetts, and in other states too..  There may be a
question of right or wrong, but it has already appears to have been
answered to the satisfaction of the electorate in these five states and
elsewhere.  The job will be done, and it is only a question of how quickly.

I don't like the idea of U.S. Federal control of embryonic stem cell
research - the words oversight, coordination, and sharing have a better
ring.  The goal should be the time-efficient and cost-efficient use of
resources and manpower-efficient use of our best minds.  But this can not
happen with the U.S. Federal government restricting  embryonic stem-cell
development research as it does today.

Art

Visit the "Corner Castle" website at www.ccastle.org/jah.html