-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New website: "Performing Medieval Narrative Today: A Video
Showcase"
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:29:13 -0500
From: Evelyn Birge Vitz <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

We are pleased to launch the pilot of a new website:

"Performing Medieval Narrative Today: A Video Showcase"
           http://euterpe.bobst.nyu.edu/mednar/

This website, produced through the Studio for Digital Projects and
Research at New York University, offers resources for scholars,
teachers, students, and performers to explore the performance of
medieval narrative.

Our purpose is to see how medieval stories can be brought to life in
performance for modern audiences, and how performance can be used to
teach medieval literature in the classroom. We hope as well to promote
a better understanding of ways in which medieval narratives may have
been performed for their original audiences.

Video clips constitute the primary resource on the website. The clips
feature a variety of actors, storytellers, singers, musicians, mimes,
puppeteers, and dancers, among them professionals, teachers, and
students. They perform scenes drawn from a range of medieval narrative
genres, including epics, romances, lais, tales, fabliaux, and others.
Some performances of narratives from analogous traditions (such as the
Egyptian Hilali epic) are also represented.

In the future, we plan to expand the site's holdings and add other
resources to the site, including further information bearing on
pedagogical uses of performance, and videoed interviews with performers
and with faculty and students who work with performance.

We hope you will visit, ­and use,­ the website. We welcome your feedback,
which may be sent to [log in to unmask]

Please pass this information along to any colleagues, students, or
performers who may be interested.

Cordially,

Timmie (E.B.) Vitz, New York University, [log in to unmask]
Marilyn Lawrence, New York University, [log in to unmask]
Project Directors

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada