Denise,

my first cousin's son died at age 35 in 1997 of cystic fibrosis after being
in final stages for 7 years.  It is my understanding that CF is definitely
genetic, the carriers of the gene being both parents.  Their 2 other children are
free of this ghastly disease.  My maternal grandfather died at 76 of
complications of  PD as did a paternal great-aunt.  I was diagnosed with PD at age 60,
(the average age of onset) today I am 69.

Everyone of my mom's siblings except her older brother, who is still living
and working at 93 had Alzheimers, bi-polar, epilepsy, she had trigeminal
neuralgia and died at 88 of effects of bleed stroke, had malignant hypertension all
her life.  Her mother had ovarian cancer (which I also survived at age 43) and
she died of breast cancer at 89.  My mom also had an unusual and highly
malignant carcinoma in her leg which she had removed and survived,

My mom's family reminds me of the movie Twins where Danny DiVito got all the
leftover genes and Arnold S got the good ones.
Ray