> The question remains, did Dr. Bob ever collect fees for removing organs
> from
> those on life support?
>
> Ned

This is a very sensitive topic for those of us who are the bedside when the
issue of organ donation must be addressed.  In the first place, the patient
involved has been tenderly cared for by all of the medical staff.   Every
effort has been made to keep the patient alive while meeting the family's
needs for comfort and, sometimes, hope.  We all become intimately involved
in such situations - the issue of organ donation in a brain dead person is
not a philosophical one for us - it is personal.

When it is evident that the patient no longer has any brain function (a
traumatic finding for all involved), then the issue of organ donation must
be addressed.

As a Catholic, I adhere to the teachings of my faith when looking for
direction in the area of medical ethics.  The Church declares that organ
donation is permissible when consent has been given and the transplant
conforms to moral law.  (Catechism of the Catholic Church  2296).

*Any* physician caring for such a patient has a right to collect fees for
services.  Since neurologists make the call as to when brain death has
occurred, a consultation fee is charged.

The question as to whether Dr. Bob collected fees has no bearing on this
issue.  The implication has been that  this is a right-to-life when it is
clearly not (unless, of course, the activity involves removing critical
organs for a live patient without their consent).
God bless
Mary Ann Ryan (CG Jamie 65/25)