The source of this article is the Dallas Morning News: http://tinyurl.com/4u2es

Caregivers: Isolation can be overwhelming

06:15 PM CST on Monday, December 6, 2004

By BILL MARVELStaff Writer / The Dallas Morning News

The daughter who cares for her aging mother. The wife who spends her day at
the bedside of a husband paralyzed by a stroke. The brother-in-law who drops
in on his ailing mother-in-law to fix her lunch, to sort through her mail,
to clean and tidy up and to bring news of the outside world.

Some would call them saints. Suzanne Mintz calls them caregivers.

Ms. Mintz is co-founder and president of the National Family Caregivers
Association, a grass-roots support and advocacy organization. The group has
joined with the National Alliance for Care- giving to make both the public
and caregivers themselves aware of their contribution and needs.

"We're not saints," says Ms. Mintz, whose husband's multiple sclerosis was
diagnosed in 1974. "We are people whom life has put in a difficult place,
and we're working through it."

According to Ms. Mintz, the almost 50 million Americans who care for an
aging or chronically ill loved one save the U.S. health care system $257
billion a year. They could exercise enormous political clout if they chose,
she says. The trouble is, most of them don't think of themselves as
caregivers.

"People think they're just doing the normal thing you do for your family.
And that may be true at the beginning stages. But as you get into personal
care, it's much harder – helping somebody get in and out of bed, helping
them go to bathroom."

The typical caregiver is a woman in her mid-40s caring for her mother but
not living with her, she says. But husbands, sons and brothers also provide
care, and many also hold down full- and part-time jobs.

More people these days are ending up as caregivers, she says, because more
people end up needing care. "Whoever lived this long? Cancer used to be
considered a terminal illness. Today it's considered a chronic illness.
People didn't live clear across the country in the old days. We didn't have
a health care system that was making people leave the hospital after two days.

"All this is putting greater pressure on families. The isolation can be
overwhelming."

It was this sense of isolation that moved Ms. Mintz to found the
association, she says.

"A friend and I went to the beach for a respite weekend. She was caring for
her mom, who had Parkinson's. We had never spoken about caregiving, but that
weekend we opened up to each other. We discovered we were dealing with a lot
of the same stuff. We recognized there was nothing out there for us. Nobody
ever asked, 'How are you doing?' We decided we were going to try to do
something."

They started with a newsletter and a small office in Ms. Mintz's basement in
Kensington, Md. "Now we're 11 years old," she says, proudly.

What do caregivers need? Chiefly respite, she says.

"Why should we think people who have a job caring for loved ones who are ill
don't need a break? The stress of caregiving is strong. If you don't get
relief, you're going to blow up."

Studies show that the stresses of caregiving take a toll on the immune
system, she says. Older caregivers have a higher death rate. "We need a
better system of helping people get a break, one that's easy to access and
highly affordable."

Mostly, she would like to see caregivers become more aware of their own
strengths and limitations.

The holiday season is a good time to recognize caregivers, Ms. Mintz says,
because of visits and family get-togethers. "Folks may be going home to see
Mom and Dad, and they may notice something is not altogether right. The
house is more disheveled, bills are piling up. Your antenna should go up.

"All of us will end up caregivers, sooner or later."

E-mail [log in to unmask]

RESOURCES

For more information and help, the Caregivers Association and Caregiving
Alliance have created a Web site: www.familycaregiving101.org.