Ellen,

reading has always been the greatest  passion of my life.  I was wondering
why I wasn't doing as much of it as usual, til I realized it wasn't just runny
eyes.

I had ordered 3 books from Amazon.com, one came as a book, another was a CD,
and another was a DVD.  I listened to the  CD and it was great.  It took about
5             hrs, about the time it would have taken me to read it.  I don't
have a DVD player and haven't yet "read" the book.

You might want to investigate CDs as alternatives to trying to dicipher books.
Ray