My PD symptoms started in 2000, and today, they include mild tremor in
the right arm, some clenching and cramping in the right foot,
pronounced muscle stiffness, minor loss of hand strength on both
sides, minor loss of small motor accuracy, and general fatigue.
Currently, I take selegiline (5mg 2x/day), requip (8mg 3x/day),
Sinemet (25/100 3x/day), and CoQ10 (100mg 3x/day)

I am at a point where I am reassessing everything I do, not only
because of PD, but in terms of what looks a lot like a normal mid-life
crisis (I'm 51).  I have been a piano player/instructor my whole life,
and as a 'sole proprietor' of my business, it is more of a challenge
every day to continue to burn the candle at both ends.  Without
getting into my whole history, at this point I am considering getting
a more stable, regular job, one where I can punch out and leave the
job at work, and have the time and energy to spend on my family, or
little repairs, cooking, eating, sleeping, exercise, etc.

The great question in all this is how to best shape my future, so that
I can be the most help to my beloved wife and children, and to our
financial future and retirement.  As I consider the possibilities, the
great "Yeah, BUT..." always comes up, and I'm feeling that I can't
really make any longterm plans.  This gives me great anxiety.  I have
very little experience applying for a job in any case, let alone
applying as a person with a handicap.

I'm sure many on the list have a lot of experience, as your PD has
progressed, with job issues, time lines, planning, discrimination,
healthy lifestyle, whatever.  I'm looking for advice, and lots of it.
What kinds of jobs have any list members had?  How has the PD affected
it?  I know it must be career-ending for some.  What kinds of jobs are
you able to successfully handle?  (I thought my health would benefit
if I became a mail carrier, but they are not even accepting
applications at this time.  I think I couldn't be any slower than our
present post person.)  For the time being I could continue playing
music, but the bar scene in this rust belt border town is pretty
disgusting, and I don't feel I have enough control of my own fate.  I
would love to continue teaching, and again, for the time being I can,
but am wondering if I would be as effective if I can't demonstrate to
students.  I would have to improve my verbal skills.  I would like to
become a writer, but that is one of the few professions that is even
less stable than music.

I hate to go on about myself, but I wanted to toss out a bunch of
thoughts that maybe would bring some related experience to mind.  And
frankly, myself is on my mind a lot these days.  Hoping to hear from
any musicians, teachers, construction workers (a hobby), fitness
enthusiasts, martial artists, fishermen (and -women), and...

Hey I've got it!  I'm going to run for public office!  Hope I can
count on your votes, and your contribution$.  See how my thoughts ran
from self-absorption straight into politics!  Hmmm...

Enjoy your holidays, everyone, and thank you.

Enjoy!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]