Wendy:

We help students with outlines all the time.

I do, however, as an instructor in my own courses, insist that outlines be
outlines, not full blown reports with bullets put in front. I make the threat
that if I see an essay with every sentence a bullet, I will take away the
outline and leave the student to work with nothing. I've never had to follow
through on that threat, though I've had a few come close to the line.

I see a more insidious issue here: students are being shortchanged on the
process of having to think over the long haul about an essay or a report. In-
class writing, no matter how well managed, cannot replace the sustained thought
and research that goes into a well developed paper. Students who do not get
this training in their undergraduate career will not develop it, and our
society will be impoverished by the lack of ability for deeper thought. That
seems to me a far greater risk than plagiarism.

Rob Irish
U of Toronto