Is there anyone out there who remembers a study and report prepared in the
early 90's (or before CCTE changed course) by a woman from Alberta who
compared student writing in several subjects: English, history and maybe
geography on Gr 12 exams in 1975 (?) and then sometime in the late 80's or
maybe 1990.
She compared the qualities which were rated at the A, B, and C levels in
both years in order to see whether expectations and perceptions of "good"
writing in those subjects had changed.  At least, that's what I remember.
Is this familiar to anyone?  I have the name "Alana" in my mind but that
could be totally wrong.
I'm curious to look at this again if I can find it.  I was also told
recently that a large comparative study was done by someone in Canada which
demonstrated that students' writing ability overall has improved -
apparently this was reported on CBC a couple of months ago, but I don't have
any reference points to seek out on that one.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Strachan, Ph.D.
Director, Centre for Writing-Intensive Learning
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6

Telephone:  604-291-3122
Fax: 604-268-6915