Jamie: Sorry, I cannot help you with a name but I could suggest some topics to consider. First, in terms of "developing and exercising influence" the topic of situational control occurs to me, a topic made evident by the work of Zimbardo in the Stanford experiments. Second, there is the potential ethical conflict between "system efficiency" and "system integrity", where the second is not necessarily guaranteed by the satisfaction of the first and may require looking outside the system for advice and standards for adjudication. Third, is the issue of public accountability for the "developing and exercising of influence" within or across public organizations, namely to what extent is the use of influence within private organizations relative to acceptable standards in the public domain--an issue raised in the Enron and similar cases in the US. Just some thoughts, which I hope are useful to you in your project. Cheers, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jamie MacKinnon
Sent: lundi 24 janvier 2005 13:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Looking for an expert on "influence"

Hi all,

I'm looking for an expert on "developing and exercising influence."

Context:  "developing and exercising influence" is the professional development topic at a forthcoming management team retreat.  Participants will be managers; their education is as economists and financial analysts.  These managers work with, and attempt to influence, senior officials in a number of external organizations on public policy matters  The managers are highly educated and evidence-minded.

The expert would be comfortable presenting to such an audience.  He / she would be credible, engaging and (of course!) influential.  He / she would understand something about public policy formulation, and preferably something about collaboration among organizations.

Any Chatelain(e)s know of such a person?  From something you've read or a conference you've attended?

Thanks for any help.

Jamie MacKinnon
Program management & Writing consulting Gestion de programme & Consultation en rédaction FMD, Bank of Canada  /  MFI, Banque du Canada
613 - 782 - 7124

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/