-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Peggy Willocks
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 7:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Parkinson's and Children

I've been reading with interest your comments about the need for children's
books to help them deal with a family member with Parkinson's.  I have a
copy of the one APDA published, "My Mommy Has Parkinson's . . . and It's
OK;" but it is more like a booklet.  It's wonderfully illustrated with a
child's drawings, which makes it appealing to younger children. I would
estimate it to be a book appropriate for ages 2-10.   However, as has been
the case in most instances I've seen, younger kids have a unique way of just
accepting things as they are.  Whenever I have to ride in a wheelchair, I am
just at the eye level of the little people.  Who do you think my best fans
are??

What I think is needed are books dealing with the child who is beginning to
think independently - who notices that mom, dad, or a grandparent is
"different" - something to appeal to the older child.  I can also see a need
for books on the psychological effects on adolescents and teens of living
with a family member with a chronic degenerative illness like PD.

I have been dabbling in a little bit of everything advocacy-wise, trying to
find my niche and wanting a way to contribute to the PD community.  I think
you have given me the idea!  I'm going to start thinking in the direction of
publishing a book that would be of benefit to the younger person(s).  I hope
you will help me along the way!

In fact, if you will start sending me your ideas here, I'll try to
incorporate them.  THANKS for the motivation!
Peggy