--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Reeve Action Network  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Campaign to Defend Hope

Keep Politics Out of Science

The first 100 days of the new Congress are critical. Because the CRPF
Action Network staunchly defends the promise and progress of medical
research, we are ready to fight to protect the integrity of stem cell
research and somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT or therapeutic cloning).
Legislation is expected to be introduced in these first 100 days that
could criminalize SCNT, an important avenue of embryonic stem cell
research.

Our campaign has a single and simple goal--to allow research that may
save lives. With your help, we will work diligently to stop passage of
any attempts to criminalize or halt research.
Here’s what we’re facing . . . Representative Dave Weldon (R-FL) is
expected to re-introduce The Human Cloning Prohibition Act early this
year. We must be prepared to educate Members of Congress and the public
on why all forms of stem cell research, including adult, umbilical cord,
embryonic and SCNT should move forward.

The bill is expected to ban all forms of cloning, including SCNT.
Weldon’s legislation criminalizes research--the very biomedical research
that may provide the best hope to finding cures for Alzheimer’s disease,
ALS, diabetes, various cancers, strokes, Parkinson’s disease, and spinal
cord injuries.

This is not about human cloning. Human reproductive cloning is unsafe and
unethical. We have repeatedly called on Congress to enact a ban on human
reproductive cloning.

This is about hope, innovation, and imagination. SCNT, aka therapeutic
cloning-- holds great promise to better understand disease and disease
development, as well as translate to better treatments and ideally cures
for millions of people living with deadly and debilitating diseases.

Please join us in our campaign to defend hope: take action, spread the
word, and help save and improve the lives of millions--let’s keep
politics out of science.

Take action now by copying and pasting this link into your web browser:
href=http://www.capwiz.com/reeve/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=6784536

Write your Members of Congress and ask them to proactively support
upcoming legislation that would support hope and support scientific
research.

Urge Your Senators and Representative to Support Research!
The Christopher Reeve Action Network
We Must. We Can. We Will.

Christopher Reeve hoped to live in a world where politics did not stand
in the way of hope! He supported embryonic stem cell research and SCNT,
not for his own benefit, but for the millions of Americans who could live
better lives through the advancement of research.

Have Questions? Copy and paste this link into your web browser for
answers:
http://www.christopherreeve.org/hopenetwork/hopenetworkList.cfm?c=66&UID=
90885B6F852086721&MX=566&H=0

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
500 Morris Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081
(800) 225-0292