Dear Ed (and List),  This is a popular - but untrue - rumor, according to www.snopes.com.

"Bernard Barber Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

01/22/05 01:56 PM
Please respond to
Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
FW: Hope you will pass this along

 _____

From: Ed Bobrow [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 10:26 AM
To: General List
Subject: FW: Hope you will pass this along

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Vereen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:12:55 -0600
Subject: Hope you will pass this along

Some interesting info here which needs broad dissemination.

Bob

IT  DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE
REPUBLICAN  OR  DEMOCRAT !
KEEP  IT GOING!!!!

200 8 Election  Issue !!

GET  A BILL STARTED TO PLACE ALL  POLITICIANS  ON SOC. SEC.
This  must be an issue in "200 8 ".  Please! Keep it going.

----------------------------------
SOCIAL  SECURITY:
(This  is worth reading. It is short and to the  point.)

Perhaps  we are asking the wrong questions during election years.

Our Senators  and Congresswomen do  not  pay into Social Security and, of
course, they do not collect from it.

You see, Social Security benefits were not suitable for  persons  of their
rare elevation in society . They  felt they should have a special  plan  for
themselves. So, many years ago they voted in their

own benefit  plan .

In  more recent years, no congressperson has felt the need to change it.
After all,  it is a great plan.

For  all practical purposes their plan works like this:
When they retire, they  continue  to draw the same pay until they die.

Except  it may increase from time to time for cost of living  adjustments..

This  is calculated on an average life span for each of those two
Dignitaries. For example, Senator Byrd and Congressman  White and their
wives may expect to draw $7,800,000.00 (that's Seven Million,  Eight-Hundred
Thousand Dollars), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the  last
years of their lives.

Younger  Dignitaries who  retire at an early age, will receive much more
during the rest of their lives.

Their  cost for this excellent plan is $0.00 .  NADA....ZILCH....

This  little perk they voted for themselves is free to them.  You  and I
pick up the tab for this plan .  The funds for this fine retirement plan
come directly from the General Funds;

" OUR  TAX DOLLARS AT WORK "!

>From  our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid)
into, -every  payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our
employer)- we  can expect to get an average of $1,000  per month  after
retirement.

Or,  in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly
benefits  for 68 years and one (1) month to equal Senator! Bill Bradley's
benefits!

Social  Security could be very good if only one small change were made.

That  change would be to:
Jerk  the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and
Congressmen. Put  them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us
then  sit back.....
and  watch how fast they would fix  it.

If  enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted
and maybe  good changes will evolve.

How  many people can YOU send this to? Better  yet.....
How  many people WILL you  send this to??

------ End of Forwarded Message

--

Edwin E. Bobrow

New York, NY 10028-0134