Hi Peter. I think Barbara is referring to the royal menagerie in the
Tower of London?--it was there from a fairly early date, but I don't
believe I have a reference in the civic records (though that doesn't
mean there aren't early references elsewhere) as early as the 13thC.

Bears may have been used in wild animal fights and hunts in the Roman
amphitheatre in London in the 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D.  A bear bone
has been found in the amphitheatre remains.

Anne