Forwarded from [log in to unmask]
---------------Original Message-------------------------

To add to the bear list!
While reading Richard Barber's 'The Knight and Chivalry' (revised edn,
1995) the other day, in the section on tournaments I came across the
following sentence:
  'The prizes were traditionally given by ladies: William Marshal's
prize of a fine pike was sent by the lady of a local castle, and a lady
presented the bear which was a prize at the tournament near London in 1216'.
In this book Barber's three chapters on tournaments are based on Richard
Barber and Juliet Barker, 'Tournaments: Jousts, Chivalry and Pageants in
the Middle Ages (Woodbridge and New York 1989) which seemingly contains
all of the detailed references to the archive material.

Best wishes,
Eila Williamson

Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh

Message date : Feb 12 2005, 12:06 AM