This notion that the wager in the CT is somehow a form of gambling
strikes me as nonsensical.  It is a competition of skill, independent
of chance.  If your students wish to look for parallels, Elza, they
should look at other forms of competition, such as tourneys, moots,
academic disputations.

--
Ray Lurie
Renaissance Studies Program