  The discussion is closed, but something has not been said.

  In a competition you can win a prize (or not), but by gambling you can
  loose  your  input.  Things become serious when the input is your life
  ("Russian  roulette").  Both  ways  go fairy tales in which the hero's
  skill  or  lack  of  skill  are vital: he can become king after having
  successfully   answered   a  difficult  question  (Sphinx)  or  having
  fullfilled a hard task. If he failed - he would die.

  I  am  sorry  to  make  things  difficult  by adding that storytelling
  competitions could involve not only prizes, but also punishment. There
  was  a  Polish  aristocrat  (17th c.) who loved telling and being told
  stories during feasts. Even the most phantastic lies were allowed, but
  if  a guest started a (made up) story and forgot (or could not invent)
  how it should end - he was beaten severely by the servants.

Best regards,
Andrzej Dabrówka
www.mediewistyka.net/dab/teatr.htm

Colleagues on the REED Listserve:

Many thanks for the comments received. My advice to the class matched the responses I received, that the storytelling competition is a rhetorical one, involving skill, whereas gambling has a large component of probability, or chance, not dependent on persuasive powers.  My students, formerly unconvinced, now have the weight of academic authority before them.  I have also sent them references on gambling from Benson's notes.

On the other hand, in medieval law, trial by combat was also dependent on skill, but the outcome was believed to include divine aid, in favor of the innocent.  Was "chance" really chance in medieval thought? Was the outcome of a game of skill potentially influenced by divine will, through recognition of the virtue, perhaps combined with the skill, of the contestant?

However, I do not want to plague this listserve, which is for drama, with endless philosophical and theological/rhetorical problems.  Thanks again for your thoughtful guidance--I will follow up on these matters separately in my reading and research. You have all given me much to consider.

Elza C. Tiner
Professor of English
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Lynchburg College
Lynchburg, VA 24501 USA