Dear Editor, your reporter just called me re my request for an interview.

When I told her I had to pay for a war I believe to be immoral, she said
"let's leave that aside".  This led me to believe I did not commmunicate my
position very well. Due to Parkinson's I am losing my voice.  For the record, the
parallel is this:

Mainly anti-abortion opponents of therapeutic cloning believe it is immoral
because embryos are destroyed in the process; therefore why should the taxpayer
pay for it?  They equate these ndifferentiated cells with a human being or
under the right circumstances a possible  human being.  Of course thousands of
embryos have failed to implant in in vitro fertilization.   They also believe
therapeutic cloning could lead to reproductive cloning.  They also argue that
adult stem cells are superior to embryonic, which shouldn't matter if you
believe it's immoral to begin with.  The research has not been done so we won't
know which kind of stem cells are successful for which disease.until the research
is done.

I do not believe these undifferentiated cells are a person, therefore the
research is not immoral, in my opinion.  Killing liviing human beings in war is
immoral and if I want to live in this country there are many things I pay for I
may not agree with.  We need big money from the state and federal government
to accelerate this much needed research, supported by most Nobel Laureates.

Also, in the long run, leaving aside the human suffering involved, wouldn't
finding cures or better treatments be cheaper than disease?

I don't really care whether reproductive cloning is legal and funded or not,
but I sure do care about therapeutic cloning.  My position would be the same
if I were well, but it is very difficult to fight an incurable disease and
people who fear science at the same time.

Rayilyn Brown
18507 N. Windfall Dr.
Surprise, AZ 85374
623-584-5869