Whether   you are pro or con re therapeutic cloning I strongly encourage you
to deluge the Arizona Republic with letters.  They won't publish them all, but
the level of debate on this issue is very embryonic here in AZ.   In fact
its about where the Congress was about 3 years ago when they stopped both
reproductive and therapeutic cloning in the Senate.  We need to at least raise the
level of public awareness.

On Sunday there was a a full page with photo of Republican Rep. Bob Stump
talking about his HB 2221 banning state funding of both therapeutic and
reproductive cloning.    It passed today, but not without my objection in an article
"Ban on use of Arizona Funds for human cloning advances".  I did manage to knock
of the "it's immoral, I won't pay for it" argument, but I live in Surprise,
not Peoria, AZ  The reporter knows very little about this subject.

My advocacy of  therapeutic cloning is not supported by all of you, but what
I really can't stand is ignorance. Stump didn't even know all the arguments
against TC.  One of his was it would destroy the family because it involves
asexual reproduction.  Guess he's never heard of IVF.  I sometimes had to argue
with myself when I taught    Advanced Placement Hiistory, but don't think I want
to in this situation.

Anyway, you all know this is a complicated subject not limited to 200 words.
Both sides of the issue will be distorted because of the nature and
constraints of the news media.  This does affect you.  So please, if you can, help
educate Arizona, maybe by focusing on one aspect of the debate in 200  words or
less.

Here is their email:   [log in to unmask]
thanks, Ray