from: Lexington Herald Leader (Kentucky)

 Posted on Sat, Feb. 12, 2005

Parkinson's drug pulled from clinical trial at UK
SOME ANIMALS BEING TESTED DEVELOPED LESIONS
By Linda B. Blackford
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

A group of Kentucky residents with Parkinson's disease learned yesterday
they won't get another shot any time soon at a medication they say was
helping them dramatically.

Amgen Inc., a national pharmaceutical manufacturer, announced it would
not extend compassionate use of the protein GDNF, which was being used at
a clinical trial at the University of Kentucky Medical Center.

Amgen owns the GDNF patent.

"I am disappointed, very disappointed, but we will keep on fighting,"
said Roger Thacker, 65, of Versailles, who said he was able to start
driving again during the GDNF trial.

The other nine Kentucky patients and those in other trials around the
country showed enormous improvements. But the drug also caused some
animals to develop lesions in the brain, leading to concern about future
problems. Amgen also said the benefits might have been because of a
placebo effect rather than real gains, an argument the researchers
disputed.

Researchers said that the concerns about lesions were unfounded because
they had never appeared in human subjects.

But Amgen held its ground.

"Our hearts truly go out to trial patients and their families, but we
simply cannot allow trials to continue given the potential safety risks
and the absence of proven benefit," said Kevin Sharer, Amgen's chairman.

"We are very disappointed by Amgen's decision," said Don Gash, a UK
professor of anatomy and neurobiology who helped oversee the trial.

Gash said that any problems should be taken seriously, which is exactly
why more testing needs to be done on GDNF.

"The patients and families who have staked their hopes, and indeed their
lives, on the testing of new treatments ... deserve nothing less."

Both Thacker and the UK researchers are holding out hope for third-party
intervention, perhaps from the federal government.

"The medicine works, we know it works," said Linda Thacker, Roger
Thacker's wife. "So how can we give up on it?"

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/10882809.htm