Alison,  Several years ago, I was taking 25/100
Carbo-Levodopa(immediate-release generic Sinemet) and got to the point
where I was taking one every hour to feel normal.  My neurologist switched
me to 50/200 Carbo-Levodopa (Extended release) with 200 mg. Comtan.  I
take that four times a day, (7:am, 11:am, 3:pm and 6-7:pm).  I'm also
careful about separating my intake of protein and levodopa.  There seems
to be less conflict with protein if I choose it from a lower rung of the
food chain (eggs, cheese, beans or nuts instead of beef or bacon).   This
regime has kept me feeling mostly normal for some time.  Recently, I've
noticed it takes longer to ramp up to "ON" and I experience some shortness
of breath and diskenesia(sp?) while that's happening.  NOTE:  I'm only
sharing my experiences.  You or your mother should check with your
neurologist to see if any of this is relevant to your situation. Cheers,
George.

Alison <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
02/11/05 01:48 PM
Please respond to
Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Question re: Comtan, Sinemet, Stalevo and Requip

Alison,
My mom is now on the Stelevo and Mirapex now.  I am under the impression
that Stelevo is just the Comtan and Sinemet together.  Her "on" times are
becoming less frequent and the stelevo isn't working like it first did.
She
has terrible Restless Legs Syndrome and sometimes that is her biggest
concern so her Dr.put her on Mirapex. She also has anxiety attacks so she
takes Ativan which she probably is addicted to, but at her age who cares
if
it makes her feel any relief at all.

I can't say how much the change in meds helps, but she can't walk at all
without them.

Alison (luv that name)