Geoff,
my matenal  grandfather died of complications of PD.  He never had any meds
and I think he lived about  10 yrs after diagnosis; however, he did have
experimental brain surgery in the 60's, and from what   I heard he walked in with a
cane and really declined afterwards.  My aunt, his youngest daughter (who is
bi-polar)   does not remember much about it unfortunately and she was an adult
when he died, is now in her 70's.  Some people in my family have no curiosity
or knowledge of medical conditions or meds.

I had a very positive first response to Sinemet, but that was all and I don't
take any PD meds.  Was diagnosed 9 years ago.  Had 2 (one was a redo)DBS
brain surgeries and 2 implant surgeries in June, July, Sept 2003 which did help my
tremors.   I still manage somehow alone, but am never "ON"> Ray