Hi Rayilyn and all,

The most troubling aspect of both the Weldon and Brownback cloning ban bills is not, to me, the attempt to ban cloning – no surprise there.

The really shocking part about HR 2505 and HR 534 (Weldons’) and S 245 (Brownback’s) is that they would make it illegal to import any product derived from SCNT from anywhere else in the world:

b) IMPORTATION.--It shall be unlawful for any person or entity, public or private,

knowingly to import for any purpose an embryo produced by human cloning or any product

derived from such embryo.

(so say HR 2505 & HR 534; the language of S 245 is a little different but has the same meaning)

In other words, anyone who supports these bills would prevent sick people in this country from getting access to therapies and even cures derived from SCNT abroad.

And the scary part beyond that is that both HR 2505 in 2001 and HR 534 in 2003 PASSED THE HOUSE with the above language intact.

Each of them was then placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders, Calendar No. 140 and Calendar No. 23, respectively (I don’t pretend to know what that means) and those are the last recorded actions I could find.

(the above info comes from http://thomas.loc.gov/)

And scarier still is the fact that 63 democrats voted in favor of HR 2505, and 42 voted in favor of HR 534.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll304.xml

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll039.xml

Many of these dems are still in office, so you might be interested to know whether you are a constituent of any of them – they come from the following states:

AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, VT, WA, WV

Brownback introduced S245 into the Senate on 1/29/03, and as far as I can tell, it was referred to the Committee on Health, Education, labor and Pensions and hasn’t come out (this info comes from http://thomas.loc.gov/)

Any further info on these bills would be appreciated.

Mackenzie

Rayilyn Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Weldon is introducing the bill in the House, Brownback the Senate.