On 20050221 (Mon) at 1258:09 -0500, Eli Posen wrote:
> my question is should I start medication or should start doing
> more stretching and exercise what I have read so far is that all medication
> have side effects is the medication also preventing the brain it shouldn?t
> get worse

Stretching and strength exercises should help cope with symptoms.
Unfortunately, the medications do indeed have unpleasant side effects,
some of which wear off with time; sometimes a good combination can be
found that keeps the side effects tolerable.  Unfortunately too, the
efficacy of a given drug may wear off in time, and then the patient has
to be put on something else.  The usual approach is therefore to wait
with medication until the symptoms are too severe to let the patient
live normally.  No medication has been proven to delay the progress of
the disease, though there are some as yet unsubstantiated hopes for
drugs now being investigated.

NB: I'm not an MD, just a patient who's done some reading too.  If your
doctor contradicts any of that, believe her/him not me.

In some movement disorder clinics there are programs, led by
physiotherapists, that teach newly diagnosed patients useful exercises
and coping skills.  You might ask your neurologist about that, and if
no such program exists near you, ask for help setting up an exercise
routine on your own.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |