I can't speak for Mormons, but I think the Catholic belief goes something
like this - stem cell usage and studying is perfectly fine.  EMBROYNIC stem
cell research is not okay because the potential for life is there.  Keep in  mind
that Catholic doctrine prevents use of fertilization methods like IVF, so  in
theory, those cells should not exist. I'm not sure what the justification is
for not using them, though, except that IVF is un-encouraged for  Catholics.
Also, as for the idea that cells can't have souls because they  can't have
consciousness, does that mean that a person in a coma does not have a  soul? Or
a baby in labor?  Or a person who has passed away?  Having  said that, I don't
think that stem cells in themselves have souls.  The  point is it is a
process outside of the natural scheme of things that prevents  God's natural plan
from being fully realized.
    As for the thought of stem cells going to hell -  again, I can't speak
for anything but Catholics, and even then, its possible my  information has
flaws.  However, unborn babies or those born without the  ability to make the
choice for themselves are not sent to hell.  Its a  common misconception put in
place by Dante (who wrote the Inferno).     I hope this is helpful.
Celeste Guerrero