TO: New Yorkers (and listmembers who have friends or family living in
NYS)

Your help is needed to make the proposed New York State Institute for
Stem Cell Research a reality.  On March 1st,  NYS Assembly Leader Sheldon
Silver (Dem.) announced he will introduce a bill to create the New York
State Institute for Stem Cell Research . SEE:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20050301a/

Sen. Nick Spano (Rep.) also announced  he will introduce companion
legislation in the New York State Senate that would permit stem cell
research in NYS and earmark $100 million annually to fund the research.
SEE:
www.senatorspano.com/press_archive_story.asp?id=10268

The bill should pass easily in the Assembly. We face an uphill battle in
the Senate, although it already has the support of 6 Republican Senators.

On Monday or Tuesday would you please send an email or call the following
State Senators and ask them to support Sen. Spano's bill. A sample email
/ talking points is below.

Would you forward this email or call at least 5 friends or family members
who live in New York State and ask them to do the same.

Thank you all for your support,
Linda

Email or call or do both:

Sen. Joseph Bruno,
NYS Senate Majority Leader
(518) 455-3191

Senator Kemp Hannon,
NYS Senate Health Committee Chair
518 - 455-2200

your NYS Senator
see
http://www.senate.state.ny.us/senatehomepage.nsf/senators?OpenForm
for contact information

SAMPLE LETTER or PHONE SCRIPT:

Dear Senator       ,

Please support positive stem cell research legislation as proposed by
Senator Nick Spano.

I suffer with (MS or Parkinson’s or spinal cord injury or cancer of
diabetes…. Etc.) or I have a  (friend, son, daughter, spouse … etc. who
has........)

(ADD PERSONAL DETAILS ABOUT ILLNESS )

Regenerative medical research, including embryonic stem cell research,
offers great  hope for curing many debilitating and deadly diseases that
destroy the lives of millions of New Yorkers.

That is why I urge you to support Sen. Spano's bill.

If NYS does not protect and fund stem cell research, many of our top
researchers and biotech companies will leave the state. Several have left
already, more are being recruited to states such as California and New
Jersey. New York State cannot afford this economic and brain drain.

PLEASE SUPPORT SENATOR SPANO'S BILL.

Sincerely,

your name, address, phone #