Alison,

There has always been a vision-related component in my experience of PD. ..a weird space-perception balance thing, as if my internal gyroscope is slightly out of whack. Shiny surafaces in particular throw me, like those endless highly polished stone floors in hotel lobbies. (You'll find me hoppping from one carpeted area to another like a frog on lily pads.) Wet roads and sidewalks are also a challenge. I do better if I carry something that blocks my vision of the immediate terrain and forces me to look out and ahead.

These symptoms seem to be ameliorated by the drugs I take (sinemet and mirapex, small doses). I also wear glasses that darken according to the light, and that helps cut glare.

My favorite thing in the world these days is to walk barefoot on the beach. The sensation on of sand on my feet really keeps me grounded, and balance issues disappear. Any known connection between the feet and the eyes?

Kathleen