I recently had some very sturdy grab bars installed in the shower/tub for my Dad (78 year old Parkie). They have been an extremely good way to enhance his safety.

He has recently started to get up during the night to transverse a short hallway to the water closet. He never remembers to take his walker. I'd like to put in some more grab bars to help him along on this short trip, but have no idea which way would be best for a PD person who is using grab bars to steady his walk, or helping him pull himself along, or? Should the bars be horizontal or vertical or should there be a combination of both? What is the best way to determine the proper height of the bars or is that determined by how they are going to be used (help to pull him along, act as support as in leaning on them, etc). My Dad is a stooped 6'2".
I would really appreciate advice from someone who has used grab bars in this manner if possible.

Any information or a point in the direction of information would be so much appreciated. I think he sort of forgets his situation when he wakes up in the middle night and just kind of takes off for the bathroom. The hallway light is always left on.

Thanks,

Jann Bell