.  If
> Spike was in my shape I'd put him down.  I don't  know why some think  its
> not  OK for pets to suffer, but  OK for people

Because people are not pets.

 I stand four-square against assisted suicide.   I've been with too many
family members who think that mom, dad, or aunt Sally should be 'put down'
for the family's convenience.

Quality of life is not something that can be defined by someone who is not
the patient.  No one knows what Terry Schaivo thinks - she may be content in
her state for all we know.  Maybe she just wants to continue to live - there
is no way to determine that she does not.

As for assisted suicide - we already have such a thing.  It is called
Hospice.  If someone feels that they no longer want to continue to live and
have a chronic, severe illness, all they have to do is get an order for
Hospice and insist that *no* further intervention, including IVs,
antibiotics, or any medication (including PD meds) be administered.  If food
and fluids are withheld,  death should occur within a two week period
(hastened along with Morphine and tranquilizers).  It's all very simple and
legal and within the grasp of anyone with a profound neurological disease.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 65/25)