I am a Mac user; a fluent PC user may like to correct me but there are
two ways to cut the clutter:

1.
In your mail browser:
Read the message;
Click on Reply,
Select All;
Delete it;
Then type your response;
Send.

That way we only get your words of wisdom and the  subject line, not
the accumulated thread stretching back to the Garden of Eden.

2.
Alternatively, change your mail browser's Preference Settings, NOT to
automatically quote the entire message to which you are replying. You
can however set it to quote a selected portion of the message to which
you are replying, which you must select BEFORE you click on Reply. Then
when you do click on Reply, that selected text will be quoted in your
reply, but not the whole thread. Type your response and click on Send.

David Thurston.