On 20050318 (Fri) at 1221:02 -0700, rayilynlee wrote:
> I think assisted suicide is a reasonable  and much  needed option. I haven't
> read  Don's posts because  I don't like  to download everything, but I don't
> think people should be encouraged to exist no  matter what.

I'd agree as long as we agree that it's equally unacceptable to
_dis_courage people from existing.  Making that decision is too
personal, and the consequences too permanent, for it to be anyone
else's business.

Most people who kill themselves are looking for an end to suffering
they deem worse than oblivion.  They think future life can nohow offer
any comfort or joy adequate to make their present and future suffering
worth enduring.

Some may be right.  My own view, if it's worth anything, is that trying
to end my "unbearable" suffering by suicide was by a long margin the
stupidest thing I ever did, and I thank whatever gods may be that I
blew it.  Most of the best years of my life have been in the decade and
a half since then, though confirming diagnoses of both PD and prostate
cancer last year was admittedly not a high point.

Suicide is "the last foolishness one should commit, given that it's the
only one to which there's no remedy."  I forget who wrote that; might
have been novelist Jean Giono.  (The original is, "C'est la dernière
sottise qu'il faut faire, attendu que c'est la seule à laquelle il n'y
a pas de remède.")

YMMV, of course, if that doesn't sound abominably cynical.

Wishing you well, whatever you decide that means for you.......

--
Greg Louis