>Re: First Stem Cell Recipient...

I must apologize for my overreaction to this topic. I went back to the
links and reread them very carefully and have since concluded the following:
1] My subject line should have read ... "first New Zealand stem cell
recipient"...
2] My conclusion that MND [Muscular Neurone Disease] was akin to
Parkinson's disease was also incorrect. MND  is the generic term used
primarily in Europe for ALS[Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Lou Gerhig's
Disease].

Assuming that you accepted my apology let me share their family web site
address which I also discovered during my wanderings: it is

<www.freewebs.com/chinawilly>

Willie had the stem cell transplant on Monday and showed signs of a
miraculous recovery by end of the day. I certainly hope this apparent
improvement wasn't due to the "microlesion" effect. After my DBS procedure
, but before the neurostimulators were installed, I experienced a
short-lived, several days, but nevertheless dramatic improvement in my
symptoms. My neurosurgeon said that this is a common response and is due to
the invasive nature of the electrode installation. Apparently the
installation process stimulates the Sub Thalamic Nucleus [STN], the
location of my electrode installation, which tweak the remaining substantia
nigra into pumping out some extra dopamine.

Additionally, I hope that the Chinese surgeon, Dr. Huang, isn't a
charlatan; he performs several one hour procedures a day, is currently
booked well into the foreseeable future and is charging $40,000- each and
has a virtually unlimited supply of fetuses what with the Chinese one child
rule. I also hope that he is certain cell growth will be self-limiting,
i.e.,  that the transplanted cells won't reproduce without limit like a
cancer. Plus a patient died the same day he performed Willie's transplant.

I pray that Dr. Huang's procedure is valid, for Willie, and for all PWP.

Peace...  David