My name is Yola Case. I wrote the "Help, I'm falling backwards" e-mail. Richard is my husband. I am the one with Parkinsons. I've had it at least seventeen years. I've been diagnosed for fifteen. I am now fifty-five years old. Ten years ago I had a bilateral pallidotomy and a unilateral thalamotomy. I was and I am happy with the results.

It seems that now my Parkinsons has been "kicked up a notch" with the advent of my "falling backwards" episodes. Oddly  I do not shuffle when I walk but when I am standing still, I lose my balance. Then I struggle to regain my footing, stepping back several times, gaining speed all the while, I lose the battle and fall down or crash. As I am writing this e-mail, I sit here with a broken right wrist.

I was asked:

Do I fall Straight backwards?

    After I lose my balance I take several steps backward trying to regain my balance.  Not able to catch myself, I gain speed and fall down or crash.

What kind of orthotics do I have?

    My orthotics were prescribed by a Podiatrist and made by a professional orthotics and prosthetics maker. I don't know the cost because I got them through my insurance.

What kind of fitted shoes do I have?

    I should have said "shoes that fit me well". Comfortable but secure lace up shoes are my favorite.

What kind of walker do I have?

    I don't use a walker.

I want to thank everyone that responded to my e-mail. I will be starting physical therapy soon and I will let you know if that helps

straight backwards ?
age? diag when? orthotics cost how much? what kind of fitted shoe?
walker ?type of walker?

Richard Case wrote:

HELP! I'm falling BACKWARDS!

I start without warning, when I'm just standing. Suddenly I lose my balance, struggle to regain footing as I stumble backwards -- and fall.

This started several years ago and has escalated in frequency and damage - broken bones. I wear fitted shoes with orthotics and try to stand with solid footing.

If anyone has overcome this problem please let me know.