. The most common criteria for acceptance
> into hospice is a terminal illness, not simply a chronic one, with death
> expected
> within 6 months. There is no assist to death through hospice -- actually,
> the
> concept is neither to prolong nor hasten death. Assistance would be in
> obtaining & maintaining comfort, working out relationships, grieving,
> getting
> affairs in order, support & respite for caregivers, etc.

Thank you for your response, Karen.  In the event of end-stage PD where
feeding tubes may become a necessity, it would seem that Hospice is an
essential alternative for people who would refuse extraordinary means.  That
is the context in which I presented my Hospice alternative to assisted
suicide.  I was not implying that people who were not end-stage should try
to access Hospice because I am aware of the six month restriction for care.
God bless
Mary Ann