-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of rayilynlee
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 11:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Moral certainty re science and religion

Dave

What  I was referring to was the theological beliefs  of the various
religions, e.g. Buddhists  don't believe in God, Jews don't believe Christ
was  the Son of God, Christians do, Mormons believe in a god of flesh and
bone although they  differ on ESCR (Senator Orrin Hatch and my  cousin).

Episcopalians for some reason seem to  favor stem cell  research (Senator
McCain and my old  high school friend)  Stem  cells weren't around when
these religions started so there  is a difference of opinion among
religions, but I do think the core beliefs  stay  the same  I don't think
you can be a Muslim and not believe in Allah.  If you  were a Christian
Scientist or follower  of Ernest Holmes Religious Science you  would believe
you  could cure  yourself.
My best friend, a Christian Scientist, who just  died of cancer supported
stem cell  research  and thought there was nothing wrong with having an
abortion.  I  don't think these positions had anything to do  with  CS as
Mary Baker Eddy never addressed them.  In the end my friend went with
aggressive chemo which I never  understood.

I think the various  religions are in the  process maybe of establishing
their  positions on  the SC issue.  The main opposition seems to be coming
from Catholics and evangelicals according to  Diane W's posts to me.

What faith  do you  follow Dave?
Ray