Joplin Independent
 Mar 24, 2005

Op-Ed-->Truth about SCNT--Rep. Emery, hello

Truth about SCNT--Rep. Emery, hello by: jmccaff
Updated: 2005-03-24 11:56:36-06
It is important to address Rep. Ed Emery’s recent columns which claimed,
quite erroneously, that stem cell research called Somatic Cell Nuclear
Transfer (SCNT) is the same thing as human cloning. In truth, the sole
purpose of SCNT is to make lifesaving stem cells — not babies. SCNT stem
cells are created with the patients' own DNA. Conception, the
fertilization of an egg by sperm, and implantation never occur, both of
which are the necessary precursors of human life.

While we all can agree that human cloning should be banned, this drastic
legislation isn’t solely about cloning. It’s about stopping research that
could ease the suffering and save the lives of millions of people around
the world afflicted diabetes, MS, cancer, and Parkinson’s. I know
firsthand. I’m one of the estimated half a million Missourians who may
one day benefit from stem cell research.

Two years ago I was a student at the U.S. Air Force Academy, but an auto
accident severed my spine and left me wheelchair-bound. Today, I am a
student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and a strong supporter
of SCNT stem cell research because of the immense hope and potential
cures it may bring for life’s most devastating maladies including spinal
cord injuries.

I’m particularly troubled that the legislation Rep. Emery champions would
not only ban SCNT for research in Missouri, but also would stop the use
of potential cures derived from SCNT at Missouri hospitals and make
criminals, Class B felons, of those who sought after SCNT treatments.

None of us can afford to allow the potential for lifesaving cures to be
hijacked by an uninformed minority bent on scoring political points while
more than half of all families in Missouri include a child, parent or
grandparent who suffers from a medical condition that could potentially
be cured with SCNT stem cell therapies.

SCNT is not a political issue, it is not a science vs. ideology issue, it
is a people issue. SCNT is the hopes, dreams, and potential cures for
millions of people, and it is our best interests to see that SCNT
research is preserved. You can help by contacting your legislators and
letting them know you want them to oppose the extreme legislation that
would ban SCNT stem cell research and cures. The effort to defeat this
legislation is being led by the broad-based Missouri Coalition for
Lifesaving Cures.

Visit Missouri Cures and see for yourself why SCNT stem cell research is
so important, and then I hope you will join us. Together, we can help!
more Missourians live healthy, full lives.
http://www.missouricures.com/

JEFF MCCAFFREY

University of Missouri-Kansas City
http://www.joplinindependent.com/display_article.php/jmccaff1111686996