"Oh, it's him again, with another lecture," I hear you say.

On Sunday 27 March Jo Ann Coen made a post to the list in reply to a
post by Rayilynlee on 25 March.
Jo Ann's post consisted of three lines of text.

It was followed more than 500 lines of quotes from post we'd all read
before several times, going back 10 days.

Every day, those of us who choose to subscribe to the daily digest
version of the list, have to trawl through this useless bulk. Must we
really have all this repetition? Surely, what we are all after is new
comment, fresh thoughts.

No personal criticism is intended here, especially not to you Jo Ann,
whose posts are always illuminating. Just a desire to tidy things up
and hopefully make life easier for everyone.

As in any society, the net only works because people agree to conform
to a few conventions. It has become known as netiquette. I quote from
the guidelines of a professional graphic arts list of which I am a
member:  "When replying to a message, include enough original material
to be understood but no more. It is extremely bad form to simply reply
to a message by including all the previous message: edit out all the
irrelevant material." In fact, that list goes as far as automatically
rejecting any post which quotes more than 24 lines of quoted reply.

In our list , on occasion, there are 15 or more consecutive list
instructions on how to sign off! (The list certainly makes it unusually
easy for people to sign off, but that's another matter altogether).  I
have no intention of signing off, I think the list is interesting and
valuable. And those who subscribe to it are good people who mean well
and share a common end. But can we not discipline ourselves and when we
press the reply button, do a little deleting?

All the best to you all,

David, aged 61, diagnosed 1999.