As a co-editor of Inkshed, I can say we would love to have the
presenters submit their work to us!
Roger Graves

Roger Graves,
Associate Professor, English
DePaul University, Chicago
773-325-1786
http://condor.depaul.edu/~rgraves/
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/21/05 4:23 PM >>>
Hi Julie-Ann,

   I am the coordinator at Dalhousie. We try and treat all students the
same, but the ESL students are much more difficult to deal with. The
university is accepting more. The students are in some cases cheating on
language tests to get in. They come from traditions that either tolerate
or
encourage the uncited use of material. All and all the tutors find them
challenge. While they are lovely people, they want editing. One student
told
me that she sends her work to a service in Australia to have it
polished. As
a prof I don't know where to send the marks sometimes. Anyway, to answer
your questions:

1. There aren't any policies; however, in practice we have had to limit
the
number of sessions for ESL students (they would be in twice a day and we
have only eight tutors for 16,000 students), and we consciously make
them
take responsibility for their work. Sometimes that leads to
confrontations,
but that's life.

2. When working with ESL students we certainly spend more time on
grammar,
but we try to comment on general trends (verb tense, articles, etc.),
send
them away to work on them and then ask them to return with an attempt.
We
try to concentrate on organization, etc.

    I hope that this helps. I can't make it to Inkshed. Will the
talks/papers be put online?

Margie Clow Bohan