         This message is aimed mainly at those member of the Medieval and
Renaissance Drama Society who work in early modern drama and rarely attend
the Kalamazoo Medieval Congress.  Since the society holds its annual
business meeting at Kalamazoo, members who don't attend that conference
don't have much chance to participate in decisions, particularly about the
topics for paper sessions at conferences.  MRDS sponsors sessions not only
at the medieval congresses at Kalamazoo and Leeds, but also at each year's
MLA Convention, the most likely venue for early modern sessions.
         Thus, I would like to invite members specializing in the early
modern to suggest topics for the society to consider at the annual meeting
at Kalamazoo this May.  If chosen by the membership, topics in early modern
would most likely be scheduled for the December 2006 MLA
convention.  (Topics not chosen this year may be held over for subsequent
years, and some topics might turn out to be well suited to Kzoo or
Leeds.)  I am currently a member of the MRDS council, and will be happy to
bring suggestions to the meeting.  In order to be accepted a topic will
have to have a guaranteed organizer, but neither the suggester nor the
organizer need to be present at the meeting.
         I hope this invitation will generate some fascinating topics, and
perhaps help MRDS members working in the early modern period become more
active in the society.  Yours,
         Peter Greenfield
         Editor, Research Opportunities in Medieval and Renaissance Drama
         Department of English
         University of Puget Sound
         Tacoma, WA  98416-1045
         USA