From: REED-L: Records of Early English Drama Discussion on behalf of Michael Winkelman
Sent: Wed 4/20/2005 4:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: query for REED-L: early American drama?

Dear fellow REED-Lers:

I will be teaching a world literature seminar this fall focusing on the
conquest of the New
World, & I would like to include a drama. I understand that there were
native theatrical
activities, some of whichwere written down in the sixteenth century and
have since
been translated and edited recently, as well as adaptations
of medieval European plays, including pastorelas (shepherds' plays) and
works from Spain
depicting Christians vs. Moors.  I think Max Harris & others have examined
some of these texts.
If anyone knows of any that are readily available in English and might be
interesting for
undergraduates to read, please advise.

thanks,
Michael Winkelman
Assistant Professor of Renaissance English Literature
Johnson State College, VT