> The 7 or 8 falls  I've had up till now I felt I could account for, not
> paying attention, etc., but this was completely unexpected and I've always
> felt fairly "safe" in the walker.  is this just how it works?  You
> suddenly lose your balance?

Ray, Jamie falls all of the time - some weeks he might fall once a day.  I
try to emphasize that he shouldn't try to walk unless I am standing behind
him with the wheelchair, but you don't have that option.

Jamie can't use a walker - he *picks it up* and walks with it, which is
extremely dangerous.  He has learned when he falls to protect his head
because head injuries cause the worst out-comes.  He has taught himself to
drop whatever he is holding and immediately curl his body while he raises
his hands to cover his head.  Curling prevents neck injuries.

He weighs 220 so he also has some extra padding.  Luckily, the only thing he
has broken has been a couple of toes, his little finger and a rib.  He has
bruises on his right hip and bottom, but he hasn't broken his hips or legs
(thank God).  The bathroom is the scariest of places because of all of the
hard surfaces that can cause terrible injury - which is why we are building
an accessible bathroom.

Hope that this helps.
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 65/25)